Polk Museum of Art presents
MIDFLORIDA MAYFAIRE BY-THE-LAKE
MAY 12 & 13, 2018
Application Deadline: March 1, 2018
Jury Results Notification: March 22, 2018
Invitation Acceptance Deadline: March 31, 2018
Cancellation Deadline: April 13, 2018
Artist Registration: Friday, May 11, 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Mayfaire Show: May 12-13th, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
+ How do I apply to Mayfaire by-the-Lake?
Applications are being accepted through March 1, 2018. We strongly suggest making sure you do not wait until the last minute so that you have time to clear up any potential issues with your application.
No late applications will be accepted.
NEW TO ZAPP?
Watch the video below for more information:
+ What do the Mayfaire jurors look for in an application?
- Ensure your artwork is free of any identifying information, like your signature.
- Make sure the image is clear, and accurately displays your art.
- Ensure you have answered all the questions in the application.
- The description of your images matter. Properly explaining your artwork gives the jury a better appreciation of your art.
- The image of your booth is important. Be sure the appearance of your tent is clean, nicely arranged, and is free of any identifying information (such as your business name, or your name).
- Images of your current artwork are preferred.
- Ensure your application is turned in on time. Problems may arise when applying so be sure to submit early. Our deadline is firm. March 1, 2018.
+ When will I be notified if I am invited to the show?
You will be notified, via email, no later than March 22, 2018 if you are invited to the show.
+ How long do I have to accept my invitation if I'm invited to Mayfaire by-the-Lake?
You must accept our invitation and purchase your booth no later than March 31, 2018. We ask that all invited artists either accept, decline or withdraw from the show by this date so that we may know your intentions.
+ When will I receive my Artist's Handbook?
Artist's Handbooks will be available in April 2018.
+ Do you allow Musicians into the show?
Mayfaire musicians are selectively chosen by the Mayfaire committee. Musicians are intended to provide a relaxing and professional act and integrate smoothly with the artists and patrons of the show. A separate contract is required. Musicians are not eligible for awards.
Musicians may not sell items such as T-shirts, posters or other commercial merchandise. They are, of course, allowed to sell their CDs.
+ I'm not an artist. Can I buy a booth at Mayfaire?
Mayfaire is strictly a Fine Arts Festival and does not permit outside businesses or organizations to purchase a booth. All artists that participate in Mayfaire have been selected and invited through a strenuous jury process. Sponsorship opportunities are available for businesses that wish to become a sponsor of Mayfaire. Please contact Pal Powell, at (863)688-7743 x240 for sponsorship information.
+ I'm a food vendor. How do I get more information about selling food during Mayfaire by-the-Lake?
Please contact Tampa Bay Food Truck beginning in January 2018.
+ I need to cancel, how do I withdraw?
Please call the Mayfaire Office as soon as you know you must withdraw. Application fees will not be refunded. There is a cancellation refund available for your booth payment until April 13th. After that, no refund on booth purchases will be given.
Mayfaire Office at Polk Museum of Art:
+ I am new to art festivals. Is there a category for emerging artists?
We encourage all emerging artists, or artists who are new to art festivals, to check out Art Crawl. This juried art festival takes place in Lakeland in November and is dedicated to emerging artists.
Click the button below for more information.
Rules & Policies
+ What is your reproduction policy?
- Only original works are eligible for judging.
- Acceptable work for sale is limited to original art created and presented by the creating artist, plus limited reproductions of the original works. Reproductions must be signed and numbered. All reproductions whether framed or unframed must be clearly and individually labeled “REPRODUCTION” or “LIMITED EDITION REPRODUCTION.”
- Framed reproductions may be displayed in browse bins and/or hung on one wall of the booth, not to exceed ten (10) linear feet.
- All unframed reproductions must be displayed in bins.
- Sale of postcards, note cards, etc. is prohibited.
- Photographic negatives must have been developed by, or under the direct supervision of the artist.
- The Polk Museum of Art Mayfaire Committee will monitor all artists for compliance with this standard of quality, show integrity and consumer honesty.
Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in the artist being ineligible for judging and may be asked to leave the show without a refund.
+ What are the Mayfaire by-the-Lake Policies?
- Mayfaire is open to fine artists and artisans displaying their own original work. No agents or dealers. Final interpretation of commercial status will be made by the Mayfaire Committee. Exhibitors’ work must correspond to the images submitted for jurying. The Committee has the right to expel without refund any exhibitor who breaks these rules at any time after acceptance into the show.
- Artists are permitted to display only their own work in each space. A “two person team” may share a space if their work is a joint effort. Such work will be judged as a single entry
- Artwork must be in good taste and mindful of the show’s intent and community’s standards. Profanity, obscenity or objectionable material will be removed.
- Artists must provide and be responsible for their own tents, equipment, display racks, tables, chairs, etc. Displays must be strong enough to withstand rain, winds and crowds. Staking is not allowed anywhere in Lake Morton Park or on the street. Due to limited staffing and liability, Polk Museum of Art cannot assist in the set-up and breakdown of artists’ displays.
- Submitted images may be used for publicity purposes.
- Artists must be physically present during the entire show and the booth staffed at all times. Volunteer booth sitters are available on a limited basis. No proxy or stand-in exhibitors will be permitted.
- All artists are asked to complete the festival survey for the organizers within two weeks’ time.
- As a safety measure, we request that artists refrain from placing their chairs in the road. We have large May-Ferry shuttles running through the festival and your safety is our priority.
- Jewelry may be sold only by artists juried in the jewelry category.
Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in the artist being ineligible for judging and may be asked to leave the show without a refund.
Getting to Mayfaire
+ How do I get to Artist Registration?
Note: Lake Morton Drive will be one-way on Friday, May 11
+ Traveling East on I-4 (from Tampa)
Take Exit 28 off of I-4 eastbound (U.S. 92/Memorial Blvd.). From U.S. 92/ Memorial Blvd. in Lakeland, turn onto Lake Parker Ave., headed south. Cross the U.S. 98 intersection and turn right onto East Palmetto St. Continue on East Palmetto St. and turn right onto Michigan Ave. and into the Museum’s parking lot for drive-thru registration. If you would like to park, pass Michigan and turn right into the Museum’s parking lot.
+ Traveling West on I-4 (from Orlando)
Take Exit 33, for SR 33. Head south on SR 33/Lakeland Hills Blvd., turning left onto Memorial Blvd./U.S. 92. Turn right onto Lake Parker Ave., headed south. Cross the U.S. 98 intersection and turn right onto East Palmetto St. Continue on East Palmetto St. and turn right onto Michigan Ave. and into the Museum’s parking lot for drive-thru registration. If you would like to park, pass Michigan and turn right into the Museum’s parking lot.
+ Traveling East or West on SR 60
Head north on SR 37 from SR 60. Follow SR 37/Florida Ave. to Frank Lloyd Wright Way. Turn left onto College Ave. Turn right on East Palmetto St. Continue on East Palmetto St. and turn left onto Michigan Ave. and into the Museum’s parking lot for drive-thru registration or continue straight into the Museum’s parking lot if you would like to park.
+ Traveling North on SR 37/Florida Ave.
Follow SR 37/Florida Ave to Frank Lloyd Wright Way. Turn left onto College Ave. Turn right on East Palmetto Street. Continue on East Palmetto St. and turn left onto Michigan Ave. and into the Museum’s parking lot for drive-thru registration or continue straight into the Museum’s parking lot if you would like to park.
+ Traveling South on SR 33/Lakeland Hills Blvd.
Headed south on SR 33/Lakeland Hills Blvd. turn left onto Memorial Blvd./U.S. 92. Turn right onto Lake Parker Ave., headed south. Cross the U.S. 98 intersection and turn right onto East Palmetto St. Continue on East Palmetto St. and turn right onto Michigan Ave. and into the Museum’s parking lot for drive-thru registration. If you would like to park, pass Michigan and turn right into the Museum’s parking lot.
From within Polk County
+ On U.S. 92/Memorial Blvd
From U.S. 92/Memorial Blvd. in Lakeland, turn onto Lake Parker Ave., headed south. Cross the U.S. 98 intersection and turn right onto East Palmetto St. Continue on East Palmetto St. and turn right onto Michigan Ave. and into the Museum’s parking lot for drive-thru registration. If you would like to park, pass Michigan and turn right into the Museum’s parking lot.
+ On CR 540-A & U.S. 98 South
Follow CR 540-A to U.S. 98. Turn onto U.S. 98, headed north. Turn left at the first light after Lakeland Senior High School onto Lake Hollingsworth Rd. Take the first right, following East Palmetto St. Continue on East Palmetto St. and turn right onto Michigan Ave. and into the Museum’s parking lot for drive-thru registration. If you would like to park, pass Michigan Ave. and turn right into the Museum’s parking lot.
+ Where do I check in?
Friday Drive-Through Registration 11am to 5pm
Location: West Parking lot of Polk Museum of Art. Enter at Michigan Avenue
7 to 8 am
Location: Tent on the corner of Lake Morton Drive and Massachusetts
Saturday Set-up Complete by 8:30 a.m.
+ Where can I park my RV/Trailer during the show?
Artist RV and trailer parking is available 4 blocks north of Lake Morton at the corner of East Main Street and South Massachusetts Ave. (LOT M). Overnight parking is permissible.
Artists may also park on residential side streets. Please be mindful not to block driveways and mailboxes. Museum parking is reserved for patrons.
Daytime parking is also available at Florida Southern College, three blocks south of Lake Morton. See map for directions.
A parking shuttle is available during show hours.
No RV and/or trailer parking in the Museum parking lot. Trailers will be towed.
+ Do any hotels offer a group rate?
The Terrace Hotel
329 East Main St.
Lakeland, FL 33801
0.6 miles from Polk Museum of Art
$109 Deluxe King or Double
(Ask for the Mayfaire rate)
525 W. Orange St.
Lakeland, FL 33815
1.2 miles from Polk Museum of Art
$109 Deluxe King or Double
(available until April 14) (Use Code G-MF18)
4500 Lakeland Park Dr.
Lakeland, FL 33809
5.1 miles from the Polk Museum of Art
$99 Queen Deluxe or King Bed Deluxe Room
(Available until April 11)
+ What time/day is set up?
You may begin setting up your booth anytime after 11am on Friday as long as you have your assigned booth number. Please check in before you begin setting up. Setup must be complete by 8:30am on Saturday.
+ Can I switch my booth number if I don't like my location?
Limited alternate spaces may be available during registration hours on Friday ONLY, with the approval of the Mayfaire Coordinators or Registration Volunteers.
> > We are unable to accommodate space changes on Saturday.
+ Do I need to bring my own tent?
Yes. You are responsible for providing your own tent that will fit within a 10'x10' space. Any color tent is okay, however, most people bring white.
+ Can I use stakes to anchor my tent down during the show?
The City of Lakeland requires that NO stakes/anchors/etc. be drilled into the ground on Lake Morton.> There are many utility lines (gas, electric, cable, etc.) that run just under the ground and we do not want you to hit one of the lines. Therefore, you need to use methods of anchoring that do not puncture the ground in any way. > The City of Lakeland workers WILL remove your stakes with or without notice if you have them on your tent. This is strictly enforced!
+ Can I get electricity or water hook ups at my tent?
No. Neither the City of Lakeland nor Mayfaire by-the-Lake offer any electricity or water hook ups.
During the Show
+ What kind of weather should I expect?
It is normally very hot during Mayfaire by-the-Lake. Some years, we have experienced cool breezes, but we recommend that you bring plenty of sunscreen and water.
+ What happens if it rains?
Mayfaire goes on rain or shine. Be certain that if we do receive some weather, that your booth is properly secured so that it will not fly away, or any art won't fall. Please note, there is NO staking anything into the ground. You must secure your tent with above ground weights. This is strictly enforced.
+ What is your weather emergency plan?
This weather emergency procedure is established to provide warning of potential weather dangers to artists, volunteers, staff and patrons of Mayfaire by-the-Lake.
Key weather websites, weather radios, and the XM weather satellite station will all be monitored during Mayfaire weekend by the Museum’s manager of operations and security and a community volunteer.
All artists are asked and encouraged to bring their own personal weather radios and any equipment needed to quickly secure their property in case of sudden bad weather. Artists are expected to be prepared as this is an outdoor event and bad weather in Florida can be sudden and severe.
If an imminent weather event is determined to be severe and/or violent, the Museum’s manager of operations and security, in consultation with the Museum’s executive director and the Mayfaire coordinators, will make the final determination regarding festival closure.
If it is determined that the festival must close due to imminent bad weather, a “Code Red” alert will be issued by two-way radio to staff and volunteers. An announcement will be made from the stage on the Library Lawn that the festival is closing due to a bad weather alert, and staff and volunteers will begin announcing that the show is closing due to the weather, beginning at each end and working toward the middle of the festival.
Traffic will be routed in a one-way, clockwise direction, and management of this will be left to the Museum’s security staff, contract security staff, and contracted City of Lakeland police officers, as appropriate. Museum staff and volunteers may offer assistance to artists, both before and after a severe weather incident, as appropriate, but will first and foremost look after Museum property and their own safety.
Neither the Museum nor the City of Lakeland, can be responsible held responsible for weather events or other force majeure events. Artists must be prepared for inclement weather or acts of nature and are responsible for their own property.
+ Can I bring my pets to the show?
We recommend that you leave your pets at home during the show. It is typically very hot during Mayfaire by-the-Lake and we would hate for your pet to get overheated.
+ What amenities are available to artists?
- Free web link on MayfairebytheLake.org
- Free Artists/VIP Reception on Mayfaire Saturday Night (RSVP required)
- Booth Sitters available 11am to 3pm Saturday and Sunday
- Drive-through check-in on Friday afternoon
- Easy curbside loading and unloading
- A Mayfaire T-shirt at the reduced price of $10 available at the Museum Tent on the Library Lawn.
- Complimentary coffee on Saturday and Sunday morning (7 am - 9 am)
- Complimentary breakfast served to your tent on Saturday morning
+ Do you have overnight security?
Yes. Mayfaire by-the-Lake hires a security company to patrol the festival all night. However, the security guards cannot be in all places at all times. We suggest that you take appropriate measures to secure any valuables. Mayfaire by-the-Lake, Polk Museum of Art, and the City of Lakeland are not responsibile for theft, or damage.
+ Is there booth sitting available?
For artists who are alone, booth sitters may be requested for short food & bathroom breaks. The phone number to call will be in your artist packet upon arrival to the show.
+ Do you have any social media that we can follow or tag you in?
Please follow us on:
Feel free to share your experience during #Mayfaire.
+ Are there ATM's available within the show?
ATMs will be available at the main food court and throughout the show.
+ What is the local sales tax rate?
Our local sales tax rate is 7%. Artists are responsible for collecting and paying their own sales tax.
+ Can I have sales/price reduction signs displayed in my tent?
No. Mayfaire by-the-Lake does not allow sales/price reduction signs to be displayed in your tent or outside of your tent.
+ How do you advertise Mayfaire-by-the-Lake?
- The (Lakeland) Ledger
- Local & Statewide Radio Programming
- Orlando Arts Magazine
- Orlando Sentinel
- Polk Museum of Art website, brochures and newsletters
- Sunshine Artist Magazine
- Tampa Tribune
- Today & Tonight Magazine
- Where the Shows Are Magazine
- Lakeland PGTV
+ When can I begin taking my booth down on Sunday?
You can begin taking down your booth after the show ends at 4:00pm on Sunday. You WILL NOT be permitted to bring your vehicle onto the streets until 4:30pm.